The ‘National Service Scheme’ (NSS) is an Indian government-sponsored public service program conducted by the Department of Youth Affairs and Sports of the Government of India. Popularly known as NSS, the scheme was launched in Gandhiji’s Centenary year, 1969. Aimed at developing student’s personality through community service, NSS is a voluntary association of young people in Colleges, Universities and at +2 level working for a campus-community linkage.
Motto of NSS:
The Motto of NSS “Not Me but You” reflects the essence of democratic living and upholds the need for self-less service. NSS helps the students develop appreciation to other person’s point of view and also show consideration to other living beings. The philosophy of the NSS is well doctrine in this motto, which underlines on the belief that the welfare of an individual is ultimately dependent on the welfare of the society on the whole and therefore, the NSS volunteers shall strive for the well-being of the society.
The main objectives of National Service Scheme (NSS) are:
- Understand the community in which they work;
- Understand themselves in relation to their community;
- Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem-solving;
- Develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility;
- Utilise their knowledge in finding practical solutions to individual and community problems;
- Develop competence required for group-living and sharing of responsibilities;
- Gain skills in mobilising community participation;
- Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitudes;
- Develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters and;
- Practice national integration and social harmony.
- Eversince the establishment of NSS in our organization we are organizing many social service activities very actively;
- 100+ student volunteers are enrolled in the unit. The unit is cultivating service mindset among the students and making better citizen with social concern;
- Every year the unit is organizing Special Camps, Blood donation Camps, Medical Checkup Camps apart from the various regular activities for the benefit of the society.